The creation of “Mode of Life” was borne out of a desire amongst English-speaking Orthodox faithful within Australia (across all canonical jurisdictions) to access an online site with reliable, in-depth and qualitative resources. The information and research presented, is for those who are living a life in Christ, and are guided in their journey by a canonical spiritual father. It is hoped that in providing such material, the faithful will have their experience and insights into Orthodoxy deepened, grounded, challenged and hopefully transformed. For it is this weblog’s contention that inner spiritual and ecclesial transformation is a prerequisite for being an active Christian, so that one may be able to answer Christ’s call to being, the way, the light and example (Mt 5:13-16). Thus challenging commonly-held perceptions (and misconceptions) of Christianity, and provoking an alternative vision to human-made “wisdom”.
As part of this diakonima (ministry) we seek:
- To proclaim the living Gospel of Jesus Christ in the contemporary world.
- To promote an integral Orthodox Christian world-view, based on the Holy Scriptures, Patristic doctrine and praxis, and the example of the lives of Christian Saints and figures, as the salvific and creative alternative to atheism and secularism with all their accompanying ideologies.
- To provide a foundation for the restoration of a fully Christian way of life, based on discipleship, community and mystagogical (sacramental) initiation.
- To preserve the heritage of traditional Christian culture, which is inspired by, and founded upon the eucharistic, liturgical life of the Holy Church. An inheritance which historically has found expression within many diverse forms of music, dance, the arts, cuisine, literature and local folkoloric customs.
- To defend the one Holy, Orthodox-Catholic and Apostolic Church, the Pillar and Ground of Truth, in an age of apostasy.
Consequently this aim is no easy task to achieve, but the pastoral need that is created by: ignorance, or inaccessibility to dependable material within this immense nation-continent of Australia, has necessitated our non-funded, non-profit, and non-celebrity effort to produce or gather together a wide range of articles and multimedia resources. Characteristically, this is an ongoing process which requires time, dedication, patience and continual self-correction or refinement. As such, we welcome any assitance in terms of article contributions, information about useful online sites or multimedia resources. Naturally, our particular focus is to draw upon the thoughts, reflections, writings and general contributions of Australian based Orthodox Christian luminaries and believers, but given the universal and holistic nature of Orthodoxy and the themes that we cover, we thus do not confine ourselves to our specific context. Subsequently, this site has provided numerous useful links to Orthodox and Non-Orthodox forums, websites, weblogs and resources, thus serving as a reliable directory.
As to Non-Orthodox Christian users of Mode of Life, we welcome you in love and peace, and hope that you enjoy your tour of our humble weblog. We trust that this resource may help explain some things about the Eastern Orthodox Christian Faith that you may not understand or know. Thus removing barriers to communication and interaction which engulf our troubled world in wars, greed, genocides and numerous misunderstandings. To those who specifically come from a Christian background which is not part of the Eastern Orthodox Christian tradition, we simply invite you to engage with us and learn something of our Orthodox Christian heritage, which by right, is your own inheritance and history as Christians, and thus is shared by all other fellow Christians.
Nevertheless on behalf of the two co-workers who established this weblog, we should clarify our “credentials” to the users of this weblog so that you may know who we are and by what “authority” we serve this diakonima. We are both graduates of St. Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College in Sydney; and we have received the blessing of His Grace Bishop Ezekiel of Dervis, and the endorsement of His Grace Bishop Iakovos of Miletoupolis (who serve the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia – A jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople) for the undertaking of this site.
You are therefore invited to utilise this mode of communication for your enjoyment and spiritual edification. Your comments and feedback are always welcomed, and we wish you all the best upon your journey of faith and insight, from being in the image of God to striving to attain likeness of God, by the love in Christ.