Fresh pastry for this autumn warmer artichoke pie
For the filling
8 medium-sized artichokes
6 spring onions
250g roughly grated regatto cheese
100g ricotta cheese or anthotiro
1 free range egg
1 tablespoon butter
100ml olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
A few leaves of mint
Salt and pepper
For the filo pastry
300g wheat flour
100g all-purpose flour
120ml extra virgin olive oil
50g all-purpose flour kept separate in a bowl to be used when you roll out the dough.
- Peel the artichokes, discarding the outer leaves, until the soft inner leaves remain along with the heart.
- Finely slice the artichokes.
- Lightly fry the chopped onions and sliced artichokes in a spoonful of butter for a few seconds.
- Add 3 tablespoons of water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put in a bowl and add the grated regatto cheese with the ricotta or anthotiro along with salt, pepper and chopped mint.
- Gently mix.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl with enough water to make a pliable dough.
- Knead well and make a pliable dough.
- Divide the dough into 6 balls.
- Cover with clingfilm and set aside to rest for 1 hour.
- Roll out each ball to the size of a medium oven dish, making it as thin as possible.
- Place 3 layers of the filo pastry in an oven dish brushed with olive oil and brush in between each layer with olive oil.
- Add the filling.
- Place the other 3 layers of filo pastry on top, again brushing olive oil in between each layer and on top of the final layer.
- Lightly score the final layer in squares.
- Beat the egg and milk well and spread over the top of the pie.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes until the pie is a lovely golden colour and well-baked underneath.