This is a traditional meat pita from Ioannina, Epirus
8 sheets of filo pastry
1 1/2 kg lamb mince
a little milk
4 tbsps butter
a little grated cheese
1 handful chopped parsley
2 tbsps tomato paste
cinnamon or allspice
*In a small bowl, add the milk and place nuts to soak.
- Peel and finely chop the onions.
- In a saucepan melt the butter and sauté the onion until slightly brown.
- Add the mince and sauté.
- Stir and add the tomato paste dissolved in 1 cup water.
- Add salt and pepper and add the parsley and cinnamon.
- Simmer the minced meat over low heat until the juices evaporate.
- In another bowl beat the eggs.
- Drain the nuts and add to the cooked mince with the grated cheese and beaten eggs.
- Butter a baking dish and layer half of the pastry sheets, brushing each one of them with melted butter.
- Spread the stuffing on top and cover with the remaining pastry sheets, brushing each one with butter.
- Cut the pie into pieces with a sharp knife and bake at 180-200°C for 45 minutes.