By Nelly Skoufatoglou
This recipe does not require filo pastry making. It is not at all time-consuming and it is based on a quiche-like crust with a rich yet not custardy filling, with eggs as the main binder.
FOR THE CRUST
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup warm water
Method for Crust:
- Mix the flour, salt and butter and start mixing.
- Drop the shortening in by teaspoons, using the tips of your fingers to pinch and squeeze each piece of butter lightly in order to mix it finely with the flour.
- Slowly pour in the water, stopping after the first half cup, and draw the dough together into a ball. You do not necessarily need to use all the water.
- Roll the ball into a disc and let it rest.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
For the filling:
1 leek (white and light green part only), finely chopped
4 asparagus spears
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup feta, crumbled
100g grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 tbsp olive oil
pinch ground nutmeg
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Take the pie crust from the fridge.
- Prick the bottom and sides with a fork and bake on the centre rack until lightly golden, about 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 160°C and when the pastry is ready, remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Bring the butter to boil.
- Add the leeks and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the olive oil and leeks to the pan and cook while stirring.
- Reduce the heat to low again and stir until limp for 5-7 minutes.
- Trim the ends from the asparagus spears, slice and add to the pot.
- Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, just until the asparagus is bright green and limp, for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat to taste and adjust seasoning.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, eggs, thyme, nutmeg, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Spread the cooked leeks and asparagus over the pie crust, taking care not to puncture the crust, and pour the egg mixture over top.
- Bake at 170°C for 45-55 minutes, or until the filling is set but still moist.